Garden Cottage is where Queen Victoria sometimes used to take breakfast, deal with State correspondence and write her diaries.
The original cottage was a wooden building which was completed in 1863 and occupied by a gardener, with two of the rooms set aside for Queen Victoria. The first recorded use was as an isolation hospital for Queen Victoria's Lady in Waiting who developed scarlet fever in 1864.
Alterations were made to the property but by 1894 the wooden cottage had fallen into disrepair and was demolished. The present stone cottage, clad in part with Ballochbuie wood from the forest at the West end of the Estate, was completed in 1895.
The interior and exterior of Garden Cottage have altered little from this period despite modernisation and the rooms can now be viewed through the windows.
Garden Cottage overlooks the secluded water garden, which was created to the West of the main garden between the cottage and the West Drive.
The gardens surround the cottage, with the rose garden and conservatory just a short walk away.